Friday, November 29, 2013

Santa (Repost)

While talking to me at Moore Park in Miami, where I was teaching tennis
as  a volunteer, a father of some kids  tells me he is Hebrew.  I say, "Great, the kids don't have enough problems being black."
Counting his kids and some cousins there are 7 non-Santa believing kids, out of the more than 100 kids at the tennis center.. The Christmas holiday is looming and the park program will be closed for 2 weeks.
One of the father's 3 daughters  (ages 7 to 11) says to me, "Coach Howard, I heard you talking, do you believe in Santa Claus?"
Shamyim, Toby, Rishona  December 2010
I look furtively to my left, then furtively to my right, and then, with the same intense look, I turn and look behind me.  Then I lower  my voice and I say, softly,

"When I was a kid I found out if you didn't believe in Santa, you didn't get any presents."  The kids are looking at me, puzzeled.
Then I ask the oldest, Shamayim, "Do you guys believe in Santa?"  She says,
"No."
Then I ask her, "Do you get any presents at Christmas time?"  She says,
"No".  I say,     
"See . . . . . . . ."
Please 'Click''your reaction in a box, just below.  (You can make a comment too, if you know how.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment